Skip to main content

The Bird or the Snake?

I was driving home the other day and all of a sudden a really large bird swoops down in the grass to the side of my car and grabs a snake. It seems effortless. The bird never stops flying. It just rises in front of my car and flies away with its prize tightly grasped in its claws. I am certain this thing happens all the time but very few times have I witnessed such a feat in person. There were several thoughts that ran through my mind. The first being, “Dang that bird has a snake!” Followed by, “Dumb bird you better fly or I am going to take you and your bounty out with this car.” But those thoughts aren't very inspiring so on to the “meaty” thoughts. I thought how I want to be the bird. I want to focus in on my goals, dive wholeheartedly into them and then glide off into the horizon with my tangible sense of accomplishment grasped tightly in my hands. However, I think more often than not I feel like the snake. Going about my day none the wiser to the talons about to carry me off into something completely different than what I had planned. Now if we follow that snake it is more than likely headed for a brutal ending and praise God my life doesn't feel quite so certain for doom. But I want to be the bird not the snake. The predator; not the prey. The thing is that we don’t become the bird without some effort or some driving force. No matter how easy it appeared to me, it didn't just happen for that bird. There was something driving her. Hunger maybe or a need to provide quite literally set that bird in motion. What can I do today to set things in motion? What can you do? Am I doing something to “go after” things or am I just allowing things to happen? Don’t be the snake!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Epilepsy Hitting Too Close To Home

I am sitting in my bed typing with tears streaming down my face and snuggling next to my sweet baby girl. It has been a difficult morning for my momma's heart. Chelsea has been diagnosed with Epilepsy . She has been having what seemed like a slight tick for almost a year and they have become more frequent and been joined by moments of pure catatonic state that last about 30 seconds. I brought up the tick with the pediatrician at her 18 month well visit but he said given her age we should just watch it and take note. Then about two months ago when we were traveling to celebrate my grandpa's 80th birthday Chels had a convulsing seizure. It was to date the worst day of my life. The seizure was accompanied by a fever and the medical team at the hospital felt confident it was a febrile seizure . Which if you don't know 1 in 10 children experience before the age of 2. My brother had experienced this when he was little and given the fact I was 16 at the time remember very clearly

God's Provision

With my new challenge of not buying anything for a full calendar year I have had some really proud moments like, when I walked through Target and only bought disposable razors and draino and some really hard moments like, when I find a great sale on something.  This morning I realized that my smell good soap is almost out and although I am going to buy soap I am only buying the cheapest  I can find with a coupon, of course! And I am having a BAD HAIR week which is really working my resolve to not spend money. SO, I come into work today in a huff over the hair experience. It is like my fun curly hair has decided to go straight? What is up with that?  Here is where the story gets good and God blows me away. A wonderful woman from my church comes into my office to drop off the key to her house (for which I am house-sitting this weekend) and she puts a great big bag on my desk that includes two pair of the killer deal flip flops from Old Navy, a new smell good soap and get ready, a gift c

Moving Past Fears, Failures, and Flaws

I have recently become more involved in the women's ministry at my church,  LifePoint . We have monthly women's ministry events called Sisterhood Gatherings and for these last couple of months, they  have been focused on living our "such a time as this" moments bravely and boldly. In September we took a closer look at the story of Esther and the different seasons or times she traveled before getting to her famous "such a time as this" moment (Hear that message  here ). We were asked to search our hearts to identify the thing that is holding us back and for many women it was fear. This fear isn't phobia kind of fears, although those can be quite scary, but the fear that keeps us awake at night, the fear that stops us from taking that next step or making changes in our lives. Then this past Friday, a good friend brought a message of what next steps to overcoming our fears might look like and it really resonated with me. For many years I have tried, so