Skip to main content

MOPS: Grace for the Good Girl Chapter 9

Indifference: lack of interest, concern, or sympathy.

"she shrugged, feigning indifference" 

That is really the example the internet gave when I looked up the definition. How many times have you feigned indifference when that isn't at all what you really think or feel. I do this alot with my husband and my children. I calculate the cost and feign indifference to keep from the fight or because I'm just tired. But then I over react because my shrug didn't really shrug anything off but only deflected the conversation or situation.

This chapter covered the story of the prodigal son, it is found in Luke 15 if you need a refresher. This story is used by many to celebrate the graciousness of the Father and the gift of forgiveness. However, chapter nine has us take a look at the "good" kid and explore his resentfulness and then his seemingly indifference to his brother's return.

It is often easier for us to get why bad things happen to "bad" people than to deal with the idea of injustice coming to those that have followed the rules. What are those rules and who decides if they have been followed? When good girls follow the rules and do the things thought to be good and right but don't get the desired outcome, what do they do? Where is God in the unexpected change of events? Where is our fair Father when the bad girls seem to have it all and the good girl is struggling? While these are legitimate questions we may have the fact of the matter is none of us deserve the good God has for us but we receive it everyday, even in the difficult times.

In order to live the full and free life we must change our perspective from one that measures good and bad and right and wrong. The truth is we don't know. We don't know what others are truly dealing with inside themselves. We don't know when that hard time is really the greatest protection we can have. We don't know but we can trust that God Is Good and he is never indifferent in His love for each of us!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Epilepsy Hitting Too Close To Home

I am sitting in my bed typing with tears streaming down my face and snuggling next to my sweet baby girl. It has been a difficult morning for my momma's heart. Chelsea has been diagnosed with Epilepsy . She has been having what seemed like a slight tick for almost a year and they have become more frequent and been joined by moments of pure catatonic state that last about 30 seconds. I brought up the tick with the pediatrician at her 18 month well visit but he said given her age we should just watch it and take note. Then about two months ago when we were traveling to celebrate my grandpa's 80th birthday Chels had a convulsing seizure. It was to date the worst day of my life. The seizure was accompanied by a fever and the medical team at the hospital felt confident it was a febrile seizure . Which if you don't know 1 in 10 children experience before the age of 2. My brother had experienced this when he was little and given the fact I was 16 at the time remember very clearly

God's Provision

With my new challenge of not buying anything for a full calendar year I have had some really proud moments like, when I walked through Target and only bought disposable razors and draino and some really hard moments like, when I find a great sale on something.  This morning I realized that my smell good soap is almost out and although I am going to buy soap I am only buying the cheapest  I can find with a coupon, of course! And I am having a BAD HAIR week which is really working my resolve to not spend money. SO, I come into work today in a huff over the hair experience. It is like my fun curly hair has decided to go straight? What is up with that?  Here is where the story gets good and God blows me away. A wonderful woman from my church comes into my office to drop off the key to her house (for which I am house-sitting this weekend) and she puts a great big bag on my desk that includes two pair of the killer deal flip flops from Old Navy, a new smell good soap and get ready, a gift c

Moving Past Fears, Failures, and Flaws

I have recently become more involved in the women's ministry at my church,  LifePoint . We have monthly women's ministry events called Sisterhood Gatherings and for these last couple of months, they  have been focused on living our "such a time as this" moments bravely and boldly. In September we took a closer look at the story of Esther and the different seasons or times she traveled before getting to her famous "such a time as this" moment (Hear that message  here ). We were asked to search our hearts to identify the thing that is holding us back and for many women it was fear. This fear isn't phobia kind of fears, although those can be quite scary, but the fear that keeps us awake at night, the fear that stops us from taking that next step or making changes in our lives. Then this past Friday, a good friend brought a message of what next steps to overcoming our fears might look like and it really resonated with me. For many years I have tried, so