Skip to main content

Masks, Lies, and Beauty

I like crafts. I like feeling creative. I like spending time using paper and glue and glitter. I know some of you reading this just rolled your eyes at the mere mention of glitter. Some people have such an aversion to glitter because it has a tendency to have a mind of its own. But I love how it brings a little something extra, another dimension if you will.

I like makeup. I like spending time making my tired face look fresh. I like the way I can add a little color in the areas that have frankly become a tad dull over the years. I like being able to cover up a blemish and to smooth out the rough places. I even like adding a little glitter from time to time.

I like a clean house. I like when things are in the right place. I feel so much more at peace when there aren't piles of clothes and toys and unsorted mail laying around. I like walking in after a long day and there being a sense of order and calm.

However, over time, if I am honest my crafts have become more replicating something I see on Pinterest then allowing my creativity to flow naturally, my makeup is something I have used to literally mask some of the things I carry around, and my house may look clean when you come over at the agreed upon time but please don't look in my garage or the room with the door closed because all the chaos has just been pushed out of site.

Why do I share this? Because I believe God is working in me to help me peel back the layers of the masks that I have worn for a really long time and the Holy Spirit revealed something to me last night that changed the way I have been looking at myself and some of the lies I have allowed myself to believe. I have long been aware that I wear the mask of performance and perfectionism and I try to be mindful of when I am picking that mask up. It often is my go to in new situations or when I am doing something that is important to me. But wearing that mask is exhausting and I have been putting it on and taking it off for so many years now that its demands have taken a toll on me. Under that mask lied the tired tears that are cried, the sad mask of feeling alone and often overwhelmed. But God revealed to me just last night that this was a lie that the enemy is using to keep me from being vulnerable enough, brave enough, strong enough to be exactly who God created in me to be. The tender and patient Holy Spirit gave me a picture of a sweet face I know so well. It is a face that lights up in my presence. A face that brings me the truth of the feelings she is experiencing. A face that I carry on my phone, hang on my walls and have etched deep in my heart. It was the face of my daughters and the tender words the Holy Spirit whispered to me last night were the true face behind any of the masks I may try to hide behind or pick up in error is the face of God's daughter. I can bring my fears, my joys, my tears, my excitement, my pain, my everything to Him and he loves me.

2 Corinthians 3:17-18 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

My hope in sharing this is that you can begin to unveil your own face. I hope you can ask the Holy Spirit to show you what you are trying to hide behind and that you can begin the process of identifying and taking off the masks that you may have been behind for a little while or a long time. Let your face shine. It isn't until we begin to unveil our face that the glory of God can be reflected out for this dark and hurting world. I would love for this blog to become a community of honesty and healing and I would love to pray with you, so if you are so inclined to share some of the masks that God is revealing to you or some of the things that keep you from putting these masks aside I would love for you to comment below.




Comments

Unknown said…
This is so open and honest, thank you. I've been under the weight of masks for so long very similar to those you mentioned-beauty routines of hair and makeup, cleaning house, and just seeming like i have it all put together all the time. Being a good wife and mother or good at my job doesnt seem good enough, but perfection is impossible, so I'm always feeling guilty I'm not doing enough. It is so exhausting, but i like to look pretty, have a clean home to relax in and have people think I can handle it all easily. I'm glad u r finding peace in taking off some masks just as I'm also trying to do without guilt. Letting God guide me has been so helpful. Last Sunday at church we discussed being content with what you have and not coveting other things can help bring peace to your life. I wish the best for you and know that your friends love you just the way u r, with no masks and even a messy home and life. It's ok and we need to remind each other of that.

Popular posts from this blog

Epilepsy Hitting Too Close To Home

I am sitting in my bed typing with tears streaming down my face and snuggling next to my sweet baby girl. It has been a difficult morning for my momma's heart. Chelsea has been diagnosed with Epilepsy . She has been having what seemed like a slight tick for almost a year and they have become more frequent and been joined by moments of pure catatonic state that last about 30 seconds. I brought up the tick with the pediatrician at her 18 month well visit but he said given her age we should just watch it and take note. Then about two months ago when we were traveling to celebrate my grandpa's 80th birthday Chels had a convulsing seizure. It was to date the worst day of my life. The seizure was accompanied by a fever and the medical team at the hospital felt confident it was a febrile seizure . Which if you don't know 1 in 10 children experience before the age of 2. My brother had experienced this when he was little and given the fact I was 16 at the time remember very clearly

God's Provision

With my new challenge of not buying anything for a full calendar year I have had some really proud moments like, when I walked through Target and only bought disposable razors and draino and some really hard moments like, when I find a great sale on something.  This morning I realized that my smell good soap is almost out and although I am going to buy soap I am only buying the cheapest  I can find with a coupon, of course! And I am having a BAD HAIR week which is really working my resolve to not spend money. SO, I come into work today in a huff over the hair experience. It is like my fun curly hair has decided to go straight? What is up with that?  Here is where the story gets good and God blows me away. A wonderful woman from my church comes into my office to drop off the key to her house (for which I am house-sitting this weekend) and she puts a great big bag on my desk that includes two pair of the killer deal flip flops from Old Navy, a new smell good soap and get ready, a gift c

wow

So I am getting married in 9 days and I am so excited for that to happen, but I would like to give a run down of my week: Monday-Had to have my entire windshield replaced because a rock broke it. Tuesday-Had to have an air inlet tube replaced in my car and learned of new and exciting repairs needed. David brings me to Jazzercise only to have a wreck right outside the church messing up his car. He is okay and the car is drive-able. Wednesday-My car was put back in shop to have the entire brake system (basically) replaced. It's David's birthday and I spend a good part of his birthday dinner crying and asking him what we are going to do with no savings and one income? I am busy telling God how unfair it is that this is all happening this week. What could he possibly be teaching me? Why in the world is all this happening to us? UGHHHHHH!!!!! And how I am so frustrated about all of it. And how I feel like this should be the time in our lives that everything seems to be falli